The only breakfasts that excited me were ones served on the weekend. This is one of those meals that can hold you over from breakfast to dinner. Between the protein and the potatoes and rice and sautéed veggies, it’ll leave you holding your belly.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 5 baby red potatoes, quartered
- 8 oz. smoked salmon
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, washed and dried
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Bring rice, 1 1/2 cups water, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt to a boil in a saucepan. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes. Turn off heat and let rest, with the lid still on, for another 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a small baking sheet with foil. Toss potatoes with 2 teaspoons olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread across baking sheet in a single layer. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, tossing them half way through to ensure even cooking.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add one tablespoon of butter. Swirl the pan to ensure the melted butter coats the bottom. Add sliced mushrooms in a single layer, trying not to crowd them. Season with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and cook for 3 minutes, until browned and then given the a quick stir and cook for another 2 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to a bowl. Return pan to heat and add 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add spinach leaves, lower heat to a simmer and cook until leaves have wilted. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Add 4 cups of water to medium-sized, deep-sided saucepan. Bring water to a rolling boil and gently lower the eggs into the pot. Lower heat to a simmer and cook eggs for 6 minutes. Remove the eggs and rinse under cold water for a minute to shock them. Carefully crack and peel the eggs. Set aside.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice and smoked paprika until throughly combined. Season with salt, to taste.
- To assemble the dish, spoon 1 tablespoon of the sauce on the bottom of two bowls. Distribute 1/4 cup brown rice into each. Top each with mushrooms, spinach, roasted potatoes, and 4 oz. smoked salmon. Place the eggs in a bowl and, using a sharp knife, cut them in half, lengthwise. Garnish with chopped parsley, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.