Pepperoni Pizza seems to be consistently near the top of lists with favorite comfort foods. And it’s understandable – take a crust, throw pepperoni and cheese on top, bake, done. So simple. However what can you do when you want it meatless and dairy-free? Having a good vegan cheese is one thing. The other is how to capture the pepperoni style?
For the crust:
- 8 oz (250 g) gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- pinch salt
For the topping:
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 2 zucchini
- hot sauce
- 2 Tbs tamari
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- vegan cheese
Prepare the zucchini “Pepperoni”:
- Wash and thinly slice the zucchini.
- In a baking dish, mix hot sauce with tamari and balsamic vinegar. Add the zucchini and mix, so that they are covered well.
- Cover and marinate over night in the fridge.
- Pro-tip: Put the spiced zucchini in the oven and bake at medium heat (320°F/160°C) for 10-15 minutes before storing in the fridge.
For the crust:
- Give all ingredients for the dough to a bowl and knead well. You should have a slightly moist but sticky dough. Let it sit for a couple of minutes.
- Form the pizza crust by spreading the dough.
To make the pizza:
- Preheat oven to 390°F (200°C).
- Spread the tomato paste on top of the crust. Add the marinated spicy zucchini slices. Top off with vegan cheese. You can of course use as much as you like.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes.